I recently had to rebuild my laptop by reloading the O/S and ran into an issue where iTunes would not allow me to log into my account. The error in my Windows 8 install kept saying that the iTunes Store was Temporarily Unavailable. At first I dismissed the issue as a maintenance deal on Apple's side, but after a couple of weeks, I decided to look more into the problem. I did everything from checking my local firewall to flushing my DNS cache and nothing seemed to work. I also updated my payment information to no avail. I ended up finding a solution that worked for me. It's listed as working for Windows 7, but I can confirm that it works for Windows 8 as well. Without further ado, here is the fix:
- Quit iTunes (and Safari if installed)
- Enable "hidden files, folders and drives"
- Navigate to C:\Users\YourProfile\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\Cookies *
- Delete all contents in the "Cookies" folder
- Launch iTunes
- Log on to your iTunes account
These were the steps that finally allowed me to log on to iTunes.
* Substitute "YourProfile" for whatever username applies to you.